Sunday, April 18, 2010

Original 2/5/10 - Personal Space

2/5/10

Who thought personal space would affect creativity so much? We talked in class today about playing hug tag, where you hug instead of tagging. What a funny thought! Everyone hears that and wants to just RUN AWAY. Why do we feel the need to have an eight foot radius? Why is that something that is just so built into being a human? I know that cultures differ, but everyone does have some sort of invisible boundary to their personal space. Interesting.

"Personal space is nonverbal communication. It may be eye contact, facial gestures and the intimacy of the topic under discussion. Tactile communication occurs only at close proximity."

My sister always gets mad at me because her 'bubble' is bigger than mine, and it drives me INSANE. I guess I'm kind of touchy feely. This personal space thing not only affects our talking when standing, but also when sitting on furniture. I always laugh because the middle spot on the couch is always the last one to get filled at family parties! We only have love seats at my house in College Station, and there's this one chair that no one sits in because you have to step over the people's legs on the love seat to avoid the coffee table and get to the chair. Very, very interesting. Round or square dinner table? I vote round because that's what I grew up with. I always feel awkward being the head of the table as well. But what about for conversations? I think round is better here too because no one is cut off by corners.

Here is a sweet picture of an A&M library in the 1980's. The lady on the left looks EXACTLY like my advertising professor, who graduated from A&M. Maybe it's her! Notice the personal space between these studious people. Looks like it's finals time:


Side note: There is a bird chirping outside my window. It's late at night... strange.