Sunday, March 21, 2010

Back to reality

"To be creative, people need to be able to take risksandfail confidently...

To do this they need to enjoy learning, know how to seekout relevant information,apply knowledge and skills in new and imaginative ways, and try out ideas in real world situations where they can observe real outcomes and receive generative critical feedback."


Back to school after Spring Break... sigh. Life isn't all that bad, but in my little college world going back to school isn't fun at all. This week was a blast though! I spent the first half at a lake house, the middle part at a ranch, and the last part with my family. I feel so privileged that I got to do all those things, seeing as they are pretty rare for me. I read a 500 page book, and am halfway through another one. I interviewed with two companies for internships. I feel like the break was fairly successful.

I love that breaks give me the opportunity to think creatively and have time to make things up in my head. I have a little story to tell... my little brother is eight years old right now, so this might embarrass him later. We went on our family outings, and he had a really upset stomach. He kept on making awful smells in the back of the car, so our family stopped at Central Market to get him some stomach medicine. Because Central Market is all natural, the only pills they had were these herb gas and bloating pills made up of some sort of carbon that absorbs the odors. This got me and my sister to thinking--why don't we have underwear that has carbon inside of it? Then it will absorb the smells and make everyone much happier! So that's our invention of the week.

On creativity lectures from the past few weeks: my memory is a bit foggy, but I do remember one thing loud and clear. Dr. Vanegas always tells us that creativity is not an excuse to be haphazard or sloppy. I love that saying, because when people hear about my Creative Studies minor, they always think that it's an easy A or a cop-out. While most people do make A's, it's because they put in a lot of effort and time! I think about the most world renowned artists, and they were rarely sloppy with their work. Michelangelo's David took three years to create. Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man was drawn to the ideal human proportions. Both of these require a level of accuracy to look realistic. While they aren't my favorite pieces of art, they aren't messy.

Favorite pieces of art:
Anthropologie Bedspread

The Hostess

Jennifer Turnbull Watercolor

Etsy Art

Etsy Art

Etsy Art

That is all for today! Off to my three hour journey to College Station.

all my love.